May 14, 2009

One Skillet Dinner


Doubling recipes is probably one of the easiest tips for getting meals to the table when living a busy life. This relatively simple recipe is both inexpensive and delicious (if I do say so myself). I through the recipe together when I was a teenager, and over the years it has been tweaked to what it is today. You can see by the photos that I was able to make 4 family sized meals. From start to finish, including cooking the rice, it took me about 30-40 minutes. Most of the ingredients noted below are organic. If you use beef that isn't grass-fed, you will most likely need to drain it after browning. Also, you can adjust the quantity of ingredients based on what you have on hand and how many you are feeding. You can add chopped bell pepper, flat leaf parsley, and/or zucchini to the recipe if desired.


One skillet dinner

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1-2 cans Rotel, liquid included
2+ cups of cooked rice
Seasoning. I use Tony Chacheres Cajun Seasoning.
Grated cheese for topping if desired. I used Sweetwater Valley Buttermilk cheese

Brown beef with olive oil and onion. Add beans, corn, and Rotel. Add as much rice as you think you would like. You might prefer your dish a little meatier, or if serving more people, you might prefer to add more rice. Either serve as is or add grated cheese to the top. My hubby loves this with a few dashes of Tabasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment