May 5, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

Since my husband mentioned the banana bread that I make in the comments section of yesterday's tip of the day, I thought you all might like to have the recipe. I prefer to use Cruze Dairy Farm buttermilk. If you do not have buttermilk on hand, then prepared dried buttermilk or 1/4c milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice will work (let that mixture set for a while on the counter). I like to double or triple the recipe to save myself time. I put whatever we won't eat in the first couple of days into the freezer. Whenever we need a fast and healthy breakfast, the muffins can be popped into the toaster oven or microwave to defrost.

This recipe was included in the Knox County Holistic Moms Network Cookbook.


Whole Wheat Banana Bread
1 c whole wheat flour (or freshly milled hard red)
½ c plain flour (or freshly milled soft white)
1 t soda
¾ t salt
½ c butter
¾ c sugar (if you are mindful of your sugar intake, then the sugar amount can be cut down)
1 egg
3 small overripe bananas
¼ c buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg and beat thoroughly. In another bowl combine all dry ingredients. In a 3rd bowl, mix bananas and milk together. Add dry ingredients and banana mixture alternately to butter mixture and mix well after each addition. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Freezes well.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! A tip I learned is to freeze overripe bananas. All you do is just stick them in the freezer just as they are. When you're ready to use them, let them thaw for a bit or microwave them for just a little bit. It doesn't take long, so be sure to check them as they thaw. I LOVE bananas and always buy too many, so I always have frozen ones ready to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I posted something of the like on my "Tip of the Day" yesterday. You are right, it is a good tip, and one that very few people know about.

    This blogging thing is so much fun! I was inspired by Jennifer at couponmommie.com and by you for signing up as a follower. I thought, "Oh, cool, I have a follower. Let's see what I can post." It just took off from there. :)

    ReplyDelete