Below are some of the best buys to add to your stockpile this week. If you do not shop at the stores listed, I suggest that you take $1-$5 from your weekly food budget for stockpiling. Look for the best buys to get the most bang for your buck.
- Campbell’s soup 2 cans for $1 with in store coupon.
- Van Camp’s pork and beans 2 cans for $1 with in store coupon.
- Chicken of the Sea tuna and sardines 59 ct each with in store coupon.
- 3/$1 Hydrogen Peroxide (for your home and car first aid kits)
- Bumblebee Tuna 2/$1
- Campbell’s soup 2/$1
- 5 lbs Rice, $2.18 (White rice stores longer than brown rice. Brown rice, while preferred for health reasons, is only good for 6 months. After that the oils in the rice become rancid.)
They are having their Mega Sale again this week. As mentioned last week, the best shelf stable buys included in the sale were the Ragu Pasta Sauces. If you use the 60ct off coupon and the 30cts off when you buy 10 of the Mega Sale items, these are 79cts. They are not mentioned in the sale ad, but Kroger stores usually have most of the same items for 2 weeks of sale. If you are not already going into Kroger, you might want to call ahead to make sure that they are still included.
Other—Add some plastic gloves to your first aid kit in your car or some in your purse. When you are at a doctor’s office or hospital next, ask if they mind if you have one pair. (I have never had them refuse this. Only get one pair so as to not abuse their kindness). They also sell boxes of these at drug stores. Store your gloves in a zip top bag to keep them clean.
Even though I am a social worker and not a nurse, I have been trained in first aid. I have come across all sorts of minor problems where having a pair of these gloves in my purse or car has come in handy. At church, at the mall, at the bathroom, I’ve helped people who have cut themselves and do not have any kind of bandage with them. Having the gloves helps to make the whole process more sanitary.