July 9, 2009

Baking Powder Biscuits

DSC_0351 OK, I’m obviously not a professional photographer, but I am a pretty decent cook.  The following is my homemade biscuit recipe adapted from one I found from 1933.  The original recipe is listed first and the whole wheat directions are below.

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tablespoons butter or shortening (do not recommend using shortening or margarine)
1/2 tsp. salt
about 3/4 cup milk (I recommend using Cruze Dairy Farm buttermilk)

Sift Flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Cut in shortening or butter. (this is where I use my hands by rubbing the butter into the flour). Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed. Turn out on slightly floured board and lightly "knead" for 30 seconds, enough to shape. Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 inch floured biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits. You can also make tiny tea biscuits that are only 1 1/2 inches wide with a small cutter or glass bottom. These are great served with tea, jam or honey. Makes 24.

Making it with whole wheat flour:

  • If using freshly milled flour you can use 1 part Bronze Chief and 1 part soft white.
  • If using store bought whole wheat flour, try the Whole Wheat White from King Arthur Flour.  If you cannot find that type of flour, use 1 part whole wheat flour and 1 part regular all purpose flour.
  • If using whole wheat flour of any kind use heaping teaspoons of the baking powder.  Whole wheat flour is heavier and requires more leavening agent.
  • You will also need a little more milk to get the mixture to pull together into a dough.
  • When using whole wheat flour, work the dough as little as possible.  An overworked dough makes for a tough biscuit. 
  • When using whole wheat flour, bake the biscuits immediately.  The longer they sit the more the gluten will develop and the tougher the biscuit will be.
  • Bake in a well seasoned cast iron skillet for a nice presentation.

3 comments:

  1. I love love love homemade baking soda biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking powder biscuits come out so light and fluffy. Nothing like a GREAT!!! homemade biscuit.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for a biscuit recipe earlier and thought I would settle with buying the Bisquick mix. While searching for deals for my fellow military members I came across your blog and noticed the biscuit recipe through your post about making them for Valentine's Day. I guess I should resort back to trying to make them from scratch! :0) Thanks for sharing!

    Reaping In Abundance,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete