August 25, 2009

Easy Jalapeño Rings

I found this recipe on the web a while back, and I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t write down the source to credit.  I tried it early in August, and we just opened the jar this weekend.  They were delicious, though I wish they’d had a little more kick to them.  When I first made them, I used white vinegar, and this time I used apple cider vinegar.  In my experience, the apple cider vinegar does a little better job of bringing out the heat.  The recipe takes about 5 minutes start to finish.  The only special instructions I will add is to use plastic gloves if you are sensitive to the peppers.  Either way, be sure to wash your hands and under your nails with dish soap to get the oils off and reduce risk of getting them in your eyes. 

DSC_1324
EASY PICKLED JALAPEÑO RINGS

These homemade refrigerator pickles keep in the fridge for months. Just pack a clean glass jar with thin slices of fresh jalapeño rings, then slip in thin carrot slices and a bay leaf. Bring 1:1 volumes of water:vinegar to a boil, add half a teaspoon salt per cup of liquid. Fill the jar with the liquid and use a plastic knife to remove the air bubbles.  Add the lid and rings and place in the refrigerator.  If you prefer, you can let it cool to room temp before moving it to the refrigerator.

This recipe is not processed, therefore it is not shelf stable.  Per my experience, refrigerator hot pepper recipes will be good in the fridge for up to one year.  Because it is not processed, the recipe does not have a specific head space recommendation.  As long as you have the food covered by the liquid, you can fill the jar up to 1/4 inch headspace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment