October 20, 2009

Tip of the day

Yesterday I encouraged you to consider cutting cable. As you look over your family budget, ask yourself, "What is necessary, what is a treat, and what can I cut?" If you are living within and below your means, you will find that there are some expenses that you might choose to keep simply because it enhances your quality of life. If you have not yet balanced your budget or are living above your means, then I strongly encourage you to cut any unnecessary expenses.

Buying locally grown food and organics, while not a complete necessity (though there are some who might argue), is a choice that we make because we believe it enhances our quality of life. Likewise, eating out occasionally is an expense we choose and enjoy. We are able to cut expenses in some areas so that we can indulge slightly in others. We know why we wan t to keep them in the budget, what the cost of these expenses are, and we plan ahead for them.

I encourage you to look at your budget and decide what you might be able to weed out. When you choose to keep something in that is for a treat, ask yourself what it is about it that you enjoy the most. Be conscious with your spending.

1 comment:

  1. I actually found that if I dropped cable (we have the bare basics & it's lumped together with our phone & internet) it would cost me more than if we just had phone & internet. Crazy, I know.

    Thinking before spendging is so important. You're right. One big area of weakness for us? Overdue library fines!

    ReplyDelete