Plan your annual exams and doctor visits around your birthday so that you will remember them. Today is my sweet sister’s birthday, and the idea of taking better care of ourselves as women is on my mind. Answer these questions:
- When was the last time you went to the dentist for a cleaning and check up?
- Have you had a physical lately? If not a physical, what about a cholesterol check?
- Have you had your mammogram if you are at the recommended age or have a family or personal history that would indicate a need for a mammogram?
- What about a colonoscopy?
- When was your last gynecology appointment? Did you have a PAP smear?
- What about scheduling your husband an annual check up?
- Have you talked with your doctor about what other checkups and blood work might be needed? For example, if you have a history of thyroid issues, she might recommend an annual blood test.
With many people being out of work, many are without healthcare. Call your local health department to see if there are any free clinics or places to have these tests performed at a discounted rate. In Knoxville, Covenant Health has made testing available for cholesterol and fasting blood sugar at a kiosk in the mall at a very low cost. If your health department is unable to offer any leads, check your newspaper regularly or call your local Office on Aging to see if they can offer assistance.