Here are some ideas for making your produce last longer:
- If celery becomes limp, chop or cut it and soak it in iced water for about 10 minutes or so. It will become crunchy again.
- Remove carrot tops before storing and wrap the carrots in a damp paper towel if possible.
- Store your potatoes away from your onions and your apples away from other foods.
- You can put your bananas in the freezer if they become too ripe and you don't have time to make banana bread.
- Bell peppers can be frozen as they are--store in a plastic bag or pyrex to prevent freezer burn though.
- Now is a good time to cut down some parsley and chop it for the freezer. It is easy to pull out a pinch or so for your holiday cooking.