Don’t throw away those citrus peels! This time of the year many of us are enjoying fresh citrus fruits, and I encourage you to make sure nothing goes to waste.
- If you want to zest the fruit, do so before you cut or peel it.
- Zested fruit that is uncut will keep for at least another three days (more if it does not dry out).
- Use the peels as an air freshener. Place the peels in a saucepan of water (add cinnamon sticks and whole cloves if desired) and leave on a simmer for a few hours.
- Use the peels to freshen your garbage disposal. Grind a few peels at a time.
- Peels are fine to add to your compost piles, but many worm composters recommend against use of peels for worm food. The acidity in the peels is not good for the worms.
Do you have any other uses for citrus peels? Leave a comment so that all might benefit.