January 28, 2010

Taking my own advice

Why do I blog?  I do not make any money off of this site.  I’ve not yet made any attempts to monetize the blog or add advertising in spite of many friends who have encouraged me to do so.  I don’t know many of the people who stop by the site and read my posts.  So, why do I do it?  I think that the biggest reason is that I learn as much from this blog as anyone else. 

When I encourage you to add items to your stockpile, prepare for emergencies, budget, and to perform your monthly breast exams, I’m reminding myself to do the same.  I’m like many of you who read the blog—I have good intentions but sometimes life gets in the way.  Remember when I reminded you all of the importance of having a blanket in your car?  Shortly after that post I took the blanket out of my car to use it somewhere else, and I haven’t returned it to my car since then.  Remember all of those posts on the importance of checking your stockpile and making sure things aren’t spoiling?  Last week I had to throw away 2 of my butternut squash because I let them spoilRemember that tip on organization and cleaning out your purse?  Someone at church just joked with me on Monday night about how crammed my pocket book is with receipts, scraps of paper, and such. 

I think that having this blog has helped me to be more accountable.  People started asking me about what products I buy that are organic, which ones are locally made, what kinds of things I stockpile, how I organize my pantry.  When I post answers to these questions, I must shine a light on how my actions follow suit with my words and beliefs.  For instance, last month I realized that I hadn’t bought many locally made or organic products, even though I prefer to do so.  It helped me because I realized that I needed to reflect further on my purchases for January.  I hope it helped you to realize that I’m not suggesting an all-or-nothing mentality.  We are all trying to do the best we can with the resources we have at this time.  Let us not forget that those resources are not just about money; they also include our time and energy.

When readers offer comments to my posts, they not only offer me a different perspective or suggestion to me but they potentially help others who are reading.  (I really enjoy seeing comments on the posts, and I think that there has only been one post that I haven’t published in all of these months of blogging.  The only reason that wasn’t published is that it was from a friend and contained some private information on it.)  You help to expand my knowledge of resources and ideas.  You help others in the same way.

I blog because I want to spread the knowledge.  I believe in that quote about the difference between giving a man a fish and teaching him how to fish.  I hope that people will take what they learn here and use it to help their families, friends, and community.  I hope they will teach other people what they learn.  Now know that I’m not naive here—I don’t think that we are going to change the entire world by teaching a few folks how to coupon, grow a garden, or can their own food.  Yet, we might help to impact one corner of the world, one part, one person.  That in turn might help to impact another and another in a positive way.  I’m so grateful to all of the people who have taken their time to teach me, even those who may never know how their actions affected me and my life.  Their teaching affected how and who I am today.  It has given me my desire to teach others what I have learned.  I hope something you learn here will inspire you to do the same for others.

Thanks for checking in, for being a follower, for sending me comments and e-mails, and for becoming a friend!

3 comments:

  1. Amen sister! And by the way, sounds like you and I must have identical purses LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If any of the blogs that I read should make $$$ for blogging, I think yours is it. I like your combination of practical, green, organic, good deals, and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make money from my blog either, nor do I desire to. (except for swagbucks) I am just like you accountabilty and the like is what I am in it for, so I guess in a way I have made money from my blog! I think I might do a post on how blogging has saved me money by holding me accountable! I love your blog by the way and I am sorry that I only just now stumbled across it since we are both locals!

    ReplyDelete