January 9, 2010

Tip of the day

I recently came across this post on reducing food waste.  Erin asked for comments from readers (we bloggers LOVE comments from readers, hint, hint), and I posted the information below.  I thought it might be helpful to some of you as well. 

One of the things that has helped to reduce our food waste is to not put much food on our daughter's plate.  I heard a friend talk about this with her daughter.  She said that she never realized how she was placing an arbitrary amount of food on the plate, filling it with what she thought her daughter would want or eat.  I realized I was doing the same thing.  Now I place a few bite fulls of each food on the plate, knowing that we can add more food as she wants and eats it.  This has not only helped reduce the waste thrown to the compost bin or trash, but it has also helped reduce meal time struggles and frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment