February 18, 2010

Tip of the day

Baking Tips (Part 2)

  • Do not use waxed paper in place of parchment paper—I can’t tell you how many people I know who have done this. 
  • If you take cookies out when they look done, they will most likely be overdone.  Instead look for when the edges start to turn.  Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies sit for about 2-4 minutes.  The carry over heat will continue to bake/set the cookies.  Use a spatula to move them to a cooling rack.  If using parchment, you can move the entire paper, cookies and all.
  • Give your cake pan a few taps on the counter before placing it in the oven.  This will help to even the batter in the pan.
  • Rotate your pans or sheets when baking, unless the recipe calls for you to not open the oven door.  This will help ensure even baking.  I move them front to back and top rack to bottom rack. 
  • When you have your oven heated for a high temp recipe (such as pita bread), go on and turn it to the self cleaning setting once you have completed your baking.  You will save a little energy because the oven is already heated.
  • 2 comments:

    1. I love your tips, ecspecially yesterday with the liquid and dry measuring cups, I had no idea! I've only used liquid for yrs! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Rochele! I really enjoy your blog, too!

      ReplyDelete