February 21, 2010

Tip of the day

When shopping for plants this spring, throw some cardboard boxes into your car.  Many chain stores will give you shallow plastic containers to hold the plants in place on your way home.  Whenever I arrive home after transporting plants in these, dirt leaks through the holes and onto my car.  Plus the containers are so shallow that they do little to steady the plants while in transport.  By using slightly deeper cardboard boxes, the dirt is contained and the plants do not shift around or fall over in the car.  The bonus for me is that instead of coming home with more plastic I’m reusing something that I already have.  If the cardboard gets wet from the plants, I can tear it into pieces and add it to my compost bin.  If it is still in good shape, I can recycle it or reuse it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment