March 20, 2010

Tip of the day

Use carry over heat when cooking.  Yesterday morning, I made 4 lbs of beans while I was getting dressed.  Because I soaked the beans, they were softened and took a lot less time to cook.  I put them on to boil and let them boil for about 10 minutes.  I then turned the pots off, left them on the cooking eyes, and covered them tightly with their lids.  I let the beans sit on the stove for the next 3 hours, until they had completely cooled.  Since there was no meat or fat in these beans, I wasn’t as concerned about bacterial growth.  When I returned home, they were soft and ready to eat.  Since I am using these for the chili I’m preparing for the tamale dinner at church tonight, I popped them in the fridge to use later. 

If you have a gas range, carry over heat doesn’t work the same way.  The pot will cool much more quickly after the burner is turned off.  You will still have some residual heat, especially if you are using cast iron or a cooking vessel that holds the heat longer, just not as much as with an electric stovetop.

1 comment:

  1. I would add two other ways to use residual heat.

    1. When steaming vegetables, heat water to just boiling and turn off heat and keep covered. Let stay on the eye for 3-5 minutes and you have delicious crisp veggies.

    2. Bath water: Don't wait til the perfect temperature to put the stopper in. I plug the tub, put the handle to full hot even though only cold comes out first, and once the water reaches a good mix, turn the hot down to warm. This way no water is wasted.

    ReplyDelete