What can you do to make your home more energy efficient? Here are some things that we have done. Some are costly ($$$), some are inexpensive ($).
- Update the windows and exterior doors in your home. $$$
- Use caulk and sealant to seal cracks $
- Perform a home energy audit $ or contact your local utility board about doing one for you $$
- Close the flue to your chimney when not in use $
- Add trees to your landscape, which when mature offer shade. $-$$
- Check to see if you need more insulation in your home. Many older homes do not have insulation in the walls or floor joists. Adding it can be costly, but it can also greatly reduce your energy usage over the long run. We have updated a few rooms in our home, and whenever we take down drywall, we add insulation. $$-$$$