Emergency Preparedness Tip of the Week--
It is every mother’s worst nightmare to have something happen to your child.
- Teach your children young the importance of not talking to strangers, not taking candy from others, and how to be safe.
- Teach them that no one should touch them anywhere that their bathing suit would cover.
- I’ve also heard that if they get lost from you to tell them to find a woman with children. Sometimes predators will dress as a policeman or security guard to prey on the young.
- Have a safe word that they know to use to test someone. “I’ll tell someone to use the word ‘pumpernickel’ if I’m not able to come get you or if there is an emergency.” Tell them who is allowed to pick them up and reinforce that no one else is allowed, EVEN if they know the person.
- Teach them what to do if they accidentally get off of the elevator before you.
- Teach them where to meet up with you if they get lost from you at an event or fair.
- Teach them what to do if someone tries to grab them or lure them away from you.
- Teach them that it is always safe to talk to you about problems they may encounter.