June 8, 2010

Update

Hello!  Remember me?  I haven’t been posting much lately, and I hope that tomorrow I’ll have more time to update the blog and get some posts rolling.  I told you all that we recently went to a funeral in TX the week before Memorial Day, and unfortunately soon after, we lost another relative unexpectedly.  We spent the last few days making another trip to TX to attend the funeral of one of my favorite great uncles.  While the two trips have taken a toll on us, I’m so glad we attended.  Until the loss of my grandmother last year, I don’t think I ever realized how much it means to have family and friends attend funerals and visitations, and I wanted to be there for them during this difficult time.

It is easy to get wrapped up in the poor pitiful Pearl routine.  Yes, we’ve lost a lot of close loved ones recently.  Yes, we’ve made a lot of unexpected trips.  All I could think on the way down to TX, though, was how lucky we are.  We have a close family with many people who have made a very real difference in my life. I thought of how lucky we are to have so many people in our lives who care about us.  Working as a social worker for so many years has deepened that appreciation, as I have encountered so many who feel such a sense of loneliness. 

When I refocus my energy towards looking at what we have, I am in awe of how great our blessings have been and continue to be.  It is so easy to look at the negative, so easy to dwell there, get comfortable and set up shop.  It can be so easy to ruminate and spend my energy on the mistakes, regrets, the things that lead to resentfulness.  Then it happens.  I drive by a homeless shelter.  I help someone get a box at the food pantry.  I am aware of my body and that it is still in good working order—I can see, I can walk, I can…  I work with someone who is doing his or her very best just to make it through an hour, much less a day.  Someone tells me that something I’ve done has helped them.  God takes that moment to humble me, to refocus my mind.  He gives me a reminder that all things are relative.  

Life has felt a little out of balance lately, and I realize it is not because it is any more difficult than it normally is.  My reactions matter.  How I think about events matter.  I take time to reflect and go back to the basics when this happens—prayer and meditation, time with family and friends, yoga and mindful/purposeful exercises, a reconnection with nature through gardening and being outdoors, a refocus on nutrition and eating foods that bring my body into balance, and affirmations of gratitude periodically through the day. 

I look forward to posting more as I slowly move back into my daily routine.  I know that I don’t owe any of you an explanation of where I’ve been or what has been going on in my life, but I include this post only as a hope that it will in some way help someone who reads it. 

Blessings to you and yours.

3 comments:

  1. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Such a thoughtful post..thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your honesty is so refreshing and an energy boost to me personally. Thank you for sharing and I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. You've got your priorities in line, chicka! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. I appreciate both of you, and I'm so lucky to have been able to know you better through blogging! Never underestimate how much your kind words mean to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete