July 17, 2010

Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken

DSC_3833

I remember taking this photograph really quickly—it is obvious that I’m not a pro and I didn’t properly prep the plate for a photo.  I had already plated most of the food, and we had said the blessing with forks prepped to eat.  I startled everyone when I said, “WAIT!  I forgot to take a picture!”  The things you do when you become a blogger!  My dad laughed half way through supper. 

This is one of those recipes that you can pull out when you want to impress someone.  It requires very little effort but is so different from what people normally serve that it is a definite crowd pleaser.  You’ll see it served above with some roasted beets and quinoa and vegetable salad. 

The chicken is with bones and skins.  I haven’t found a source for this type that is organic yet.  Sometimes I will cut up an entire organic chicken, but this time I bought conventional.  If you find a source for organic chicken breasts like these, please let me know.

Ingredients

4 Chicken breasts WITH bones and skins

1-2 blocks (4-5.3 oz) Goat Cheese (I prefer to use the kind with herbs mixed in)

Olive Oil

Coarse ground salt/Kosher salt

Fresh ground pepper

The amount of cheese needed will depend on the size of the chicken breasts.  Plan on 1 breast per person, 1/2 breast per child.  Clean chicken breasts and pat dry.  Open goat cheese so that it makes the stuffing process easier.  Gently pull the skin of the chicken breast and make a small hole towards the middle of the breast.  This will open a pocket between the meat and the skin.  Use your fingers (or gloved hand if you prefer) and gently stuff a teaspoon or so of cheese in at a time.  Move it around the breast until most of the meat is covered with goat cheese.  Set each on a roasting pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and season on both sides, top and bottom.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for approximately 45min-1hr, depending on your oven and the size of the meat.  The skin will be golden brown and the juices will run clear when done.  Let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I made this today for my family. Mr. Newbie wasn't too impressed by it, but then again Mr. Newbie doesn't like chicken or Greek cheese very much. I liked it and would definitely make it again.

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5284040&l=38d98fdb2d&id=673215107

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad you tried it! I have a friend who feels the same about goat cheese, and when I make this when she is coming, I put a piece aside without any cheese in it. If he's not too keen on chicken, though, I don't know if this would help. ;)

    Thanks for your comment and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete