July 8, 2010

Pickled Beets

DSC_0442

This is another repost from last year.  I was so thrilled with the way that this recipe turned out last year that I have already canned twice as much this year.  Last year we gave away most of the jars to friends and family for Christmas.  This year they might have to pry them out of my hands to get any—they were that good!  I encourage you to watch the beets when you are cooking them.  This year I overcooked them a bit and they were a lot softer that I would have liked.  Remember that they will continue to cook for another 30 minutes in the canner in their water bath after you jar them.  Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions. 

Pickled Beets

10-15 fresh beets (about 2 lbs)

2 c. sugar

2 c. white vinegar

1/3 c. water

16 whole cloves

8 whole allspice berries

2 cinnamon sticks, about 4 inches long

2 t. pickling salt

1.  Trim beets, leaving 1 inch of stem and tap root attached.  Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-45 minutes or until tender.  Drain and rinse under cold water.  Remove skins and cut beets into larger pieces.

2.  Combine sugar, vinegar, and water in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. 

3.  Remove hot jars from canner and place 4 whole cloves, 2 allspice berries, 1/2 cinnamon stick and 1/2 tsp salt in each jar.  Pack beets pieces into jars.

4.  Pour hot liquid over beets to within 1/2 inch of rim (head space).  Process 30 minutes for pint jars and 35 minutes for quart jars in a water bath canner.

The recipe says that it makes 4 pints, but when I doubled the recipe I was only able to get 6 pints out of the batch.  I recommend that you use a plastic knife to help you remove the bubbles trapped in between the beets.  Fit the knife in between the side of the jar and the beets and gently push towards the center.  As with all pickles, they need to sit for about 3 weeks or longer to help the flavors meld.

1 comment:

  1. I love pickled beets. I used to help my Mom with them when I was a young girl. My favorite was "skinning" them...I loved how the skins just slid off when they were done!!! YUMMY!! They're soooo good with pinto beans!!! And, on salads!

    ReplyDelete