July 7, 2010

Refrigerator Pickles

This is a repost from last year.  I recently was writing to a friend about my food preservation schedule, and I realized that by this time last year I had already made quite a few jars of pickles.  With the heat and lack of my attention, the cucumbers haven’t thrived… yet.  The second wave of plantings is looking good so far, and I have not lost hope of having a refrigerator full of pickles by the season’s end. 

This is one of the easiest food preservation recipes that I have.  Sorry about not having a photo for you. Trust me, the recipe is worth making! You do not need to use new lids, as the prepared jar will stay in the fridge and does not need to be sealed.  My experience, though, is that the older lids will still form a seal with the hot liquid.  They are not shelf stable, so no need to worry about a water bath.

2-2 ½ cups sliced cucumbers, about ¼ inch thick

2 ½ teaspoons pickling salt

2 sprigs of fresh dill 6 inch long

2 cloves of garlic

½ c. white vinegar

½ c. water

Prepare pint sized jar and lid by washing in hot soapy water, rinse and drain. Combine sliced cucumbers, 1 ½ teaspoon salt and cover with cool filtered water. Let stand from 2-3 hours. Drain. In a clean hot pint jar put the dill, garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon of pickling salt. Add cucumbers leaving ½ inch head space. Push slices down and firmly pack. Combine the water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture over cucumbers in jar. Use a plastic knife or non-reactive spatula to release the air bubbles by pushing the pickles towards the middle and letting the vinegar run in between the slices. Pour on more hot vinegar solution if needed, leaving ½ inch headspace. Wipe rim and put on lid and screw band. Refrigerate for 6 weeks before eating to let the flavors meld.

Note—this is a recipe from my sister-in-law. When I first ate them, I was amazed at how delicious they were. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law used to make these pickles and they were delicious...I miss them...and her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it neat how certain recipes and foods remind us of those we love?

    Hoping all is well with you and yours, Deb! Thanks for your sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete