July 25, 2010

Supper Planning Sundays

I didn’t follow through with many of the meals I had planned last week, and the ones that I did I sort of rearranged in sequence.  The first of the week had some trials, and then by mid-week our daughter had fallen ill.  Sometimes things just don’t go as planned.  Even still, we didn’t go out for supper at any time in the week.  (When we dined out, I had free queso and chips for lunch at Moe’s, our daughter and I had free Chick-fil-a with coupons, and Hubby had a lunch of Chinese food that his boss splurged for). 

This Saturday evening, I called a friend I’ve known for years and asked her for her smoked trout spread recipe.  In the process of speaking with her, I was separating eggs for the peach ice cream.  She asked, “What is inspiring this urge to cook?”  While I really didn’t cook that much this week for our meals, I was inspired by a few seasonal recipes.  Sometimes I find that when I don’t “have” to cook, I want to cook new and different things.  Is it like that for you?  I read once that the people that actually cook the least in frequency are the ones that say that they like to cook the most. 

Below is our meal plan for this week.  It is for 2 adults and 1 child, with my dad probably dining with us a few times in the week. 

Note—when estimating the cost of the meal I add the cost to the initial serving.  Any leftovers are then priced at $0. Dining out pulls from a different part of our family budget and prices are not shown below as a result.

Sunday

We are going to a birthday party this afternoon and will be at the ice cream social later.  We’ll most likely have a small snack in between those events as our supper.

Approximate cost $0

Monday

Lamb chops (we bought half a lamb from a local farmer last year, therefore the price is difficult to set) $6

Roasted potatoes (bought from local farmers, we haven’t dug ours yet) $1

Green beans (bought from local farmers) $1

Squash from the garden $0

Approximate cost $8

Tuesday

Hamburgers a la Daddy (meat bought from a local farmer) $6

Any leftover green beans and squash that need using $0

Cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden $0

If able to get corn from a farmer, we’ll roast some of it.  If only able to pick fruit, we’ll have some of it as a side.  $2-3

Approximate cost $8-9

Wednesday

Pasta bake (pasta free after coupon and sale, cheese part of Mega Event last week, veggies from garden) $1.88

Approximate cost $1.88

Thursday

Tombstone Pizza (bought with $2 Facebook coupon and Kroger Mega Event Sale) 49cts

Any veggies from the garden or leftovers that need using

Approximate cost 49 cts

Friday

We’ll be eating supper at a family member’s home.

Approximate cost $0

Saturday

We’ll be eating at a swanky bridal event for a relative.

$0

No comments:

Post a Comment