July 20, 2010

Tip of the day

I recently read in All You magazine that the average couponer can save $1000 each year by clipping offers for just 20 minutes a week (source redplum.com).  I decided to give a quick peak to my budget for this year and see how close or far away from $1000 I was.  To date I have saved, including store discounts and coupons, $2493.17!  Considering that a large amount of our food is bought from local farmers, something I can’t use a coupon for, I’m very pleased with this amount. 

  • Couponing allows our family to eat well.  We buy fresh ingredients with more than half of our foods being organic or locally grown. 
  • Couponing allows us to donate and give to others.  Not only do we help support local causes through these donations, but we also share extra goodies with friends and family. 
  • Couponing helps us to stay on budget. 
  • Couponing allows us to stockpile.  I have extra food, toiletries, first aid supplies, paper products, and dog food on hand for when they are needed.  If it looks like the budget will be tighter due to unexpected expenses, I can use less of the money on groceries and eat from the freezer or pantry for a few weeks. 
  • Couponing has introduced me to so many people.  I’ve become good friends with some of the local coupon bloggers (check out my links tab to learn more about their blogs).  My readers are fantastic!  I recently told one reader Robin that it totally brightens my day when I see that she’s left a comment or has sent me an email.  Couponing is also a good opening for discussion.  I can’t tell you how many people I’ve chatted with at the grocery store all because of coupons!
  • Couponing has helped me be a better steward of the resources God provides.  I could spend a lot more money on things, but why?  Why spend more than you have to?  This has carried over into other areas of our lives—we could have bought fancier cars, but we stuck with practical.  We could have a bigger or more lavish house, but this one works just fine for us.  We could remodel the kitchen, but it isn’t a priority.  The saving money drive has reinforced the environmental drive.
  • Couponing has helped me as a social worker.  I have worked with many people who do not know where their next meal is coming from—by teaching others about coupon resources I’m better able to help them help themselves. 
  • Couponing has helped me as a Christian.  I actively participate in the work of the church, helping us to give more with the same amount of money (sometimes even less!)  I help to stock our food pantry, buy for different groups in the church, and feed the children who attend our Wednesday night program in the fall and VBS in the summer.  I’m often reminded about the story of the loaves and the fishes.  God has a remarkable ability to make so much out of so little.  He makes also me “something” even when I feel like a “nothing”.  Who knew that couponing would be my spiritual gift?? God knew!

If you haven’t yet tried couponing, if you are just starting out, or if you have been doing it a while and have burned out, I hope this serves as some inspiration for you.  I don’t spend nearly as much time couponing as I did when I started out so keep in mind that even a little bit of time can save you thousands of dollars over the course of a year!  Happy Couponing!

1 comment:

  1. And couponing is fun! There's a special "aha" moment when you combine a coupon with a special and get a really great deal.

    ReplyDelete