August 14, 2010

Tip of the day

Give positive feedback!  I was recently visiting  a local nursing home for the first time.  There wasn’t anything fancy about the building, rooms or set-up, but the care was amazing.  When I spoke with the nurse, she was bright, caring, and well informed.  I could tell that she had an interest in the resident and wanted what was best for her.  She seemed healthy, well rested, and had a smile on her face.  I could tell that she liked her work and saw it as more than just a job.  Unfortunately that isn’t my normal experiences in nursing homes, and I decided to take a brief moment to speak with the upper level staff about my experience.  The gal at the front desk said that they have a program where staff are recognized for positive comments and have an opportunity to win little prizes and other incentives for jobs well done.  I happily completed the card and told one of the team leaders about how great she was doing.  Not only did I leave feeling as happy as a lark, I know she’ll be pleased to see the comment card later. 

It is easy to complain about what we don’t like, but how many of us take the time to make a positive comment when we have a great experience or see someone going above and beyond in their job or role?  Today, make a point to look for excellence wherever you are.  Bring it to the attention of the person’s boss and thank them directly for doing good work.  You may never know what it means to that person, and it will encourage even better performance in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment