September 9, 2010

Can you help this reader? Pick-your-own farms for fall fruits in East TN

Mom and Apple Pie Month

One of my readers emailed me to ask about picking fall fruits this season:

I have been to the blueberry farm you recommended in Maryville several times and have had a lot of fun with my kids.
Blueberry season is done, so I am looking for something for fall to pickup. I guess it should be apple, do you have something else to recommend?
Can you recommend a farm not far from west Knoxville (Farragut) that we can have fun to pick up fruits like apple or something else?

I told her that I don’t know of any low or no spray farms in this area that are pick your own.  The Halls Fruit and Berry Patch has apples and Black Oak Farms in Corryton has muscadine grapes, but other than that I haven’t really been to any local farms for fall fruits. 

I recommended checking out the www.picktnproducts.org website, but I’d rather have some recommendations of farms that you’ve visited personally.  One other thought is to look for persimmon trees from which to glean fruits.  Be sure that when you are picking persimmons, you only pick the fruits from the ground that have fallen.  The ones still in the tree will coat  your tongue with a horrible taste that takes an hour or so to get rid of.  As far as I know it isn’t poisonous, but it isn’t as pleasant as the mellow flavor of the ripened fruit. 

Please help Cindy find a few farms for her family in this area.  Leave info in the comments section if you have any suggestions.  Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment