September 20, 2010

Meal Planning Week of 9/20

YIKES!  I’m a little behind today.  I realized not only have I not posted my meal plans for the week, but I hadn’t actually planned them yet either.  Isn’t it funny how the day will just get ahead of you sometimes?

Below is our meal plan for this week.  It will feed 2 adults, 1 child, and an occasional guest or relative here and there.  Last week I reported that it was going to be a busy week, and I wasn’t sure how many of the meals we planned would actually end up on the table.  Well, that was the case.  The stir fry I made on Sunday was huge, and we ate it for leftovers for a few lunches and another supper.  One night we weren’t too hungry and ate a simple meal of fruit, goat cheese, and crackers instead of making a big meal.  Another night I decided to use a gift card my sister had given me for my birthday to Olive Garden and go out for a treat. 

The one thing I do know about myself and my meal plans, though, is that if I don’t have a plan it doesn’t work.  Having at least a plan to go off of, helps to keep me within budget and prevents me scurrying around trying to figure out supper when we are hungry and ready to eat.

Note—when estimating the cost of the meal I add the cost to the initial serving.  Any leftovers are then priced at $0. Dining out pulls from a different part of our family budget and prices are not shown below as a result.

Monday

The next couple of days are going to be busy.  Tonight we’ll keep it simple with a few leftover side dishes, sandwiches, and popcorn.

Approximate cost $1-2

Tuesday

I’ll be talking at a class at Tennessee Wesleyan College.  Since I won’t get back until about time to eat supper, Hubby will make one of his specialties—Hamburger Helper or pancakes.

Approximate cost $2-6, depending on which meal he chooses

Wednesday

I’ll be helping with the children’s program at church tonight:

BBQ chicken (chicken on sale at Kroger this week, BBQ sauce was free after coupon and sale earlier this  year)

Green beans (we have a church garden, and I blanched and froze these earlier in the year)

Okra and tomatoes (again, these are from the church garden, and I froze them earlier in the year)

Maybe some mashed potatoes on the side if we think we need them

Approximate cost $0 (out of church budget)

Thursday

Lamb stew (we just bought a half of a lamb from a local farmer, and I realize that we still had a few pieces left from the last lamb in the freezer)

Lamb, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, roux based gravy, and braised cabbage on the side

Approximate cost $8

Friday

Leftovers supplemented with any veggies that need using from the garden

Approximate cost $0

Saturday

Venison steaks, baked beans, corn, and smores for dessert

(steak was free from my sister, baked beans were bought on sale with coupon, corn was free after coupon, smores will be homemade graham crackers, chocolate and white chocolate bought with coupons, and marshmallows)

Approximate cost $5

Sunday

Either chili or soup from the freezer

Approximate cost $0, since both are leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment