September 27, 2010

Meal Planning

This meal plan is for 2 adults and 1 child and the occasional guest to dine with us.  NOTE—I often make enough food to freeze or have for another meal.  Because of this, leftovers are counted as $0 on the menu.

My best tip for meal planning is to do what works for you.  For me, having a plan, even if I don’t follow it fully helps me to make sure we have food on the table.  I try to plan based on what we have in the garden, what is fresh from the farmers market, what needs using in the pantry/fridge/freezer, and what we have time to make when things are busy. 

Monday

Tonight will be a busy night, so I’m going to keep it easy. 

We’ll have Kraft Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese ($1 after coupon and sale)

tomatoes from the garden (free)

peas (bought at Kroger Mega Event with coupon, half of a bag 25cts)

smores for dessert (this is technically a leftover from camping, I’ll heat them in the microwave or toaster oven)

Approximate cost: $1.25

~~~~~

Tuesday

Today I’ll make a huge pot of chicken and vegetable soup.  There will plenty for leftovers and to freeze for a quick meal at a later date.

(Chicken is organic and was bought marked down and with coupon, the rest of the veggies will be ones we’ve preserved from our home garden)

Approximate cost: $6

~~~~~

Wednesday

I’ll be helping with the children's program at church that evening.  We decided on pizza for supper tonight.

Approximate cost: $0 (out of church budget)

~~~~~

Thursday

I’ll be at Ladies Night Out at church this evening. 

Supper for the rest of the family will be leftover chicken and vegetable soup

Approximate cost: $0

~~~~~

Friday

We have a tentative birthday party this evening.  If it doesn’t work out that we go to it, I’ll pull out some chili from the freezer.

Approximate cost: $0

~~~~~

Saturday

I never made the sausage dressing when I had it planned last. 

I’ll make it tonight and add some veggies from the freezer as side dishes.

(Sausage bought on sale with coupon, cornbread mix was free after sale and coupon, veggies from the garden, chicken broth pulled from the soup I made earlier in the week)

Approximate cost: $2

~~~~~

Sunday

Lamb steaks (bought from a local farmer) $6

Potatoes with herbs (from the garden) $0

Braised cabbage 50cts

Approximate cost: $6.50

No comments:

Post a Comment