October 25, 2010

Halloween Recipes—Scary Snakes

DSC_1799 This recipe is super simple, though I’ll admit that it took a little longer to make them than I remembered in the past. I think that I saw this on an episode of Paula Dean’s cooking show, but I’m not completely certain. Regardless of the source, they are super fun to make for the kids, and I hope you enjoy them.

Scary Snakes

Crescent Rolls

Lunchmeat

Sliced cheese

Egg

Food Coloring

Bell pepper

Green Olives with pimento

Toothpicks

1. On a floured board, roll out the crescent rolls and pinch the dough together where it is perforated so that there will not be holes in the dough.

DSC_1792

2. Add the lunchmeat of your choice and cheese to the dough, paying attention to stay towards the middle and to not overstuff the dough. If you overstuff or get too close to the middle the cheese will ooze out. If desired cut a few strips from the ends to use for decoration and patch jobs if you find holes later.

DSC_1793 DSC_1794

3. Roll the dough together in a snake form. Add the extra crescent roll strips to make decorations on the snake if you like.

DSC_1791

4. Crack the eggs in small bowls (as many eggs as you want color). I used two eggs and stuck with green and red. Mix the coloring into the egg until you get the hue you want. Then brush the egg wash onto the snake in the pattern of your choice.

DSC_1796 DSC_1795

DSC_17985. Place snakes on a greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the dough is light brown and set. Approx 15-20 minutes, depending on how big your dough rolls end up being.

6. In the meantime slice the olives in half and the bell peppers in the shape of a forked tongue.

7. When the snakes come out of the oven fit the tongue into the dough while it is still hot. Use toothpicks to affix the eyes. Voila! You are ready to slice and eat!

3 comments:

  1. I am not sure how scary these are but they are so cute! They are really simple and I could definitely let my 5 year old daughter help me make them. I have been looking for Halloween Recipes that we can make together. I work with Better Recipes and am always reviewing recipes but I think my most favorite have to be the simple ones that I can share with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They aren't too scary at all, but the kids love faining fear at them. "I can't eat a snake!" Our daughter helped with the decorations last year and enjoyed painting in the kitchen. I'll check out your link for some more ideas. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary Snakes...what fun! Kids love Halloween and will even pretend to be scared if they're not. I work with Better Recipes and have been experimenting with gross recipes for Halloween. I particularly like the monster eyeballs and they are so easy to make. Gross Halloween Recipes

    ReplyDelete