November 27, 2010

Cranberry Mustard

DSC_4841 I have been wanting to make homemade mustard for a while now.  I had some leftover frozen cranberries from the Angel Food box we bought to help contribute to Thanksgiving this year, and so I decided to give it a whirl.  This mustard is tangy with a hint of sweetness.  It would be perfect on a roasted turkey or ham sandwich or with a bit of goat cheese or brie on French bread.  I plan to give a few away in gift baskets this Christmas.  Since cranberries tend to be a seasonal item in the grocery, you might want to pick up a bag sometime this week if you want to try this recipe.

Source credit: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, Editors Judi Kingry and Lauren Devine

Makes about seven 4 oz jars (mine made about 8)

Ingredients

1 c. red wine vinegar

2/3 c. yellow mustard seeds

1 c. water

1 T. Worcestershire sauce

2 3/4 c. cranberries (fresh or frozen)

3/4 c. granulated sugar

1/4 c. dry mustard

2 1/2 t. ground allspice

Directions with my notes in italics—In a medium stainless steel saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil over high heat.  Remove from heat and add mustard seeds.  Cover and let stand at room temperature until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture, about 1 1/2 hours.

Prepare canner lids and jars and set out the rest of the ingredients while you wait.

In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine marinated mustard sees (with liquid), water, and Worcestershire sauce.  Process until the mustard seeds are well chopped.  This step took a little longer than I thought it would.  The recipe said that you can use a blender, but I can’t imagine that a blender that was not an industrial strength would work as well.  You want the mixture to remain slightly grainy in texture.  Add cranberries and blend until chopped.  I used frozen and didn’t defrost them first.  The next step will just take a little longer with frozen.

Transfer mixture to a stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  I didn’t have the patience to stir constantly, but you don’t want to leave it and let it scald on the bottom.  Reduce heat to medium low and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.  Whisk in sugar, dry mustard and allspice.  They are right, a whisk is the best utensil for this because the mustard tends to clump.  Continue to boil gently over low heat, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.  I measured the depth with the rubber spatula that I was using to stir and sort of eyeballed the reduction level.

Ladle hot mustard into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles and adjust head space if needed.  I tapped the jar on the counter to help it settle.  Then I used my plastic spatula and did the best I could to remove bubbles, though I didn’t really notice any come to the top.  Wipe rim.  Center lid and screw band to fingertip resistance is met. 

Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat and remove lid.  Let it sit for another 5 minutes and then remove jars. Cool and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment