November 8, 2010

Meal Planning, Week of 11/8

Last week I didn’t have a meal plan set.  I didn’t know what the week would hold because I had a few appointments and a trip into Memphis.  Bad idea.  There were a few nights when supper rolled around, and I had no idea what I would cook.  We didn’t starve, but I learned my lesson.  Even when it is a busy week, even when you aren’t sure what the nights will hold, having even a general meal plan helps keep me on track.

Hubby asked me not too long ago if I factor in the cost of drinks into our meals.  I don’t usually do this.  Most often when we are eating at home we’ll have either water, tea, or milk to drink with meals.  Tea is usually bought with a super sale and coupon.  We drink it unsweetened at home unless guests are coming over, which also saves a bit of money.  Milk is a bit more expensive because we buy organic or local/organically grown almost always.  When we drink sodas, they are usually packed in Hubby or my lunch. 

This meal plan is for 2 adults and 1 child and the occasional guest to dine with us.  NOTE—I often make enough food to freeze or have for another meal.  Because of this, leftovers are counted as $0 on the menu.  If we go to a restaurant, it counts in a different part of our family budget.

I may mix up some of the dates of meals this week.  A friend from church offered for me to go and pick greens at his home garden, and if I’m able to do that earlier in the week, then Saturday’s meal will be switched to the day of picking.

Monday

Tuna Helper (I think that the Tuna Helper was either free or super cheap after coupon and Mega Event, tuna was bought on sale) $1-2

Leftover salad $0

Summer squash from the freezer (from our garden this year) $0

Stewed pears for dessert (sugar and cinnamon only expense) 25cts

Approximate cost: $1.25-$2.25

~~~~~

Tuesday

Lamb Roast (bought from a local farmer, difficult to estimate price because we bought by weight, not by cut) $12

Potatoes (from our garden) $0

Organic carrots $1

Irish Soda Bread (home milled wheat, baking soda bought in bulk, butter bought on sale) $1

Approximate cost: $14

(This is an expensive meal, but we’ll have lots of leftovers)

~~~~~

Wednesday

I’ll be helping to make supper for the children’s program at church. We’re having green beans and okra and tomatoes that I put up from the church garden this summer, chicken, corn, and fruit.

Approximate cost: $0 (church budget, though this will be an inexpensive meal thanks to preserving foods from the church garden, coupons, and sales)

~~~~~

Thursday

Leftover Lamb Roast

Veggies from the freezer to add to the meal $0

Approximate cost: $0

~~~~~

Friday

Stir fry--

Organic chicken bought marked down with coupon $2.50

Bok choy, onions, garlic, bell peppers and cabbage from our garden (garlic in dry storage and bell peppers in freezer from this summer) $0

Carrots, celery, and a few other veggies bought at store $2

Rice (bought on sale with coupon) 10cts

Approximate cost: $4.60

~~~~~

Saturday

Greens (collards and turnip greens, free from a church friend’s garden) $0

Cornbread (free after coupon and sale) $0

Pinto Beans (free from my uncle and ready to eat in the freezer) $0

Okra and tomatoes from the freezer $0

Pickled Beets (essentially free from our garden) $0

Approximate cost: $0

~~~~~

Sunday

Today is my dad’s birthday, and we’ll go out to eat to celebrate.

Approximate cost: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment