November 16, 2010

Sausage Dressing

DSC_4633 2 packages of sausage (I used Jimmy Dean sage breakfast sausage)

2 T. Butter

4 cloves garlic minced

1 1/3 c. chopped green onions or a yellow onion/green onion mixture of the same amount

1 1/3 c. chopped celery

1 1/3 c. chopped bell pepper

2/3 c. chopped parsley (fresh, not dried)

3 1/3 c. chicken broth

1 1/2 T. Tony’s 

1/2 T. rubbed thyme

Sage (see note below)

2 eggs, beaten

1 skillet cornbread, more or less based on what you have on hand (for this recipe, I used Martha White Sweet Cornbread mix because it was free and I had it on hand.)

Brown sausage in a pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Remove sausage and cook vegetables (except for parsley) in drippings and butter until vegetables are tender.  I like tiny bit of crunch to my veggies, and I found when I cooked them with the sausage they were a little mushy.  Mix crumbled cornbread with the vegetables, parsley, chicken broth and Tony’s.  Note—I didn’t have sage on hand either fresh or dried so I used rubbed thyme instead.  Had there been sage in the house, I would have definitely added it. 

You want the mixture to be pretty wet, a little wetter than you think it will need to be.  This will help prevent it from being dry after you have cooked it.  Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning as needed to your liking.  Add a couple of eggs as another binding agent for the dressing. If your sausage is still hot and your broth is fresh/hot, you will need to temper the eggs into the mixture to prevent them from scrambling.

Bake in a 9x13 pan in a 350 degree oven for approximately 40minutes-1 hour.  The dressing will have browned on top and the middle will have set when it is done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment