November 24, 2010

Tip of the day—Pack your sense of humor

Today holiday travelers will descend upon the roadways, rail lines, and air ways to reach family and friends for Thanksgiving.  Along with your toiletry bag and clothes, be sure to pack your sense of humor, too. 

One of the things that I like least about myself is that I can get carried away in a moment and forget what really matters.  In an instant, stress can take over and I’ll feel like the world is going to end if (fill in the blank) happens, or doesn’t happen depending on the situation.  Ever feel that way?  Frustration fills every part of my body.  Then the moment passes and all of the sudden I realize I spoke harshly, wasn’t as kind as I could have been, or burdened someone else with my bad attitude.  UGH.  I feel worse than I did to start with, and it was all because I let myself be caught up in a moment of stress.  Like in the Tom and Jerry cartoons, I let the devil on my shoulder win out over the angel. 

I find that, in addition to using the stress busters that I told you about earlier in the week, deciding to have a sense of humor is helpful.  Wake up, look at yourself in the mirror in the morning, and tell yourself that whatever happens you’ll roll with it.  You’ll decide to look for parts of those stressful situations that are funny.  You’ll find ways to bring joy and peace to others instead of stress or frustration. 

Hey, you won’t be charged an extra baggage fee to pack your sense of humor so why not bring it along?  Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment