November 12, 2010

Tip of the day—You are you

You don’t have to be anyone else.  Just because I work my coupons a certain way, it doesn’t mean that it will work the same for you.  Just because Money Saving Mom has a weekly grocery budget of X amount of dollars, doesn’t mean that will work for your family. 

As with anything you see on this or any other blog, I encourage you to find what will work for you and your family.  Be true to yourself, your talents, your schedule, and don’t put unfair burdens on yourself.  You don’t “have” to be a certain way.  “Should”ing on  yourself can be one of the cruelest forms of self torture.  “I should be better” “I should be able to do more”  “I should be more like…” 

Yesterday, friends and I had lunch and were talking about coupons.  They shared their “coupon failures” and suggested that I write a column about our collective “failures” as a way of normalizing that they happen and they happen often.  They do.  If you’ve seen me in the grocery store, you know that I’m not always very organized with my coupons.  Sometimes I’m sorting through coupons or looking around on the grocery store floor for one that I’ve dropped in the process of shopping.  I remind you that one of the reasons I write this blog is to keep me on track.

Be kind and patient with yourself, especially if you are new to couponing.  It takes time to find a system that works for you or to possibly figure out that coupons don’t work for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment