The holidays can be a magical, wonderful time. They can also be very lonely times for people with recent losses or who don’t have family around them. Today make a point to reach out to people who might fit one of those two categories.
- The first Christmas without a friend or family member can be a hard one. Send a card or make a call to let the person know you are thinking of him or her.
- Bring a box of chocolates by or a carafe of coffee and enjoy it with an elderly neighbor who doesn’t have family in the area.
- Bring a dozen donuts to the intensive care unit waiting room so that the families and friends there have a little comfort food during a difficult time.
- Make a trip to your local nursing home or homeless shelter to spread some Christmas cheer.
- Invite a friend to lunch who has had a loss of a loved one this year. Be open and ready to listen if she wants to talk.
- Most people have one—that relative that is a bit of a grump or grouch, who tends to isolate him/herself from the family, who has a wall around his/her heart—reach out to that person. You may not feel all that much love in your heart, but if you enter the situation by knowing that you are going to show God’s love, that is all you’ll need. He’ll do the rest of the work.
If you have recently lost a loved one, you might find that the act of reaching out to others is also helpful for you. Last year after my grandmother passed, I found myself reminiscing with family and friends about her. I found myself cooking more of her recipes as a way to have her present in our Christmas meal. When I visit people in hospice, hospitals, or nursing homes, I often think of her and how my work also honors her legacy. Find ways to honor the person you have lost this holiday season in what you cook, how you act, and what you give.
Merry Christmas! Thank you to all of you who are being very patient with me as my posts are not as regular as they usually are. This Christmas season has been a wonderful one and a busy one. I’m hoping that I’ll have a little more time soon to post more deals, matchups and sales.