December 12, 2010

Tip of the day—Turn on some tunes

Nothing can lift a mood like a good song.  Whatever  type of music you like, turn up the volume, sing along, and get grooving as a way to beat the winter doldrums. 

I’m not a very musical person.  I have to make a point to turn on music and make it a part of our lives.  I joke that my sister inherited all of the musical talent in the family, and I can’t even carry a tune in a bucket.  Yet, when I do intentionally turn on the radio, a CD, or Pandora, I almost always notice that I feel a little better.

Here are some of my favorites:

  • The Three Tenors or any kind of opera music when I’m cooking.  This is even better if I’m cooking in the evening and am making a meal that requires a lot of prep work. 
  • I love James Brown’s I Feel Good for getting me going in the morning.  When I was working full time, I would throw this in the CD player on the way to work on Mondays.
  • When I want to relax, I either turn on anything from Nora Jones, Jack Johnson, or listen to the spa selection at Pandora.
  • When driving in traffic or needing to chill a bit in the car, I turn on NPR and listen to the morning concert.  A friend from church, Melony Maness, is the morning host, and she does an awesome job of offering a wide selection.
  • One of our local Christian radio stations, always offers all Christmas music this time of the year.  It is so perfect for turning on while I’m baking cookies, wrapping presents or decorating. 
  • I like it when I can catch the Blue Plate Special on WDVX, a local bluegrass station (also online).  They have a great free concert week days on Market Square that we also like to catch in person. 

What about you?  What are  your favorite artists, types of music, stations?

No comments:

Post a Comment