December 8, 2010

Tip of the day—Your hat is in your hoodie

Yesterday, our daughter was playing outside while I worked in the garden.  It was cold and snowy, and we were bundled up for the weather.  All of the sudden, she started freaking out.  It was the kind of freak out that usually means she’s been hurt.  She was absolutely distraught.  When I came closer, she said with one of the most dramatic of tones, “Momma, my hat fell off, and I have lost it.  I can’t find it an-y-where!”  I said to her with a smile, “Stop.  Calm down.  Your hat fell into your hoodie.  Just reach back and get it.”  She was wearing a winter coat with a hood, and her hat fell into the cup of the hood and was resting there.

I started thinking how often we do that as adults.  We absolutely freak out over something that turns out to be no big deal at all.  We spend a tremendous amount of energy and emotion worrying, fretting, crying, despairing, when God has the problem in His hands. 

It was like that for me with a recent health problem.  Yes, I knew God was in control, but…  But what?  I spent a lot of time thinking about the issues.  I spent a lot of energy being frustrated and mad that I was having problems.  Each time I stepped back from the emotion, I could intellectually understand that it really wasn’t that big of a deal.  It could have been a lot worse.  There were people I encountered daily who were dealing with a lot worse, and yet, I continued to find myself wrapped up in it all.  As much faith as I had, I was not really trusting that God would take care of me. 

I read this great post about how we tend to underestimate God, and I could relate.  Be sure to read the entire post, but here is an excerpt that gives you the gist of it.  (This is one of my new favorite blogs to read, btw):

“God, you are massive. You are huge. You made the universe and created all space and time. You are without end! But, you are slightly less big than $30,000. You’re like a really solid $29,000 God. And that’s awesome. I mean that’s pretty good. I think you’re almost all powerful, you’re just not $30,000 powerful.”

Have you ever done that?

Have you ever been faced with what felt like an insurmountable challenge and in the midst of that, you’ve worshiped a really small God? Have you ever prayed something like:

“God, you are gigantic. You rule the universe. You’re just not as big as my college application process. You are slightly too small to handle that.”

Sometimes when faced with a problem that seems like the end of the world, all we really need to do is what I told our daughter to do:  Stop.  Calm down.  And reach around for the answer that God has ready for you.  God is there.  He knows what is going on.  He can see the big picture in a way that you can’t—you’re too close to the problem.  He’s smiling and looking on you with love.  Who knows, if you do this, you just might find your hat was in your hoodie the whole time. 

I hope you are having a blessed and happy Christmas season.  The tip of the day posts from Dec 1 through Christmas are focusing on ways to have a merrier Merry Christmas.  I hope you do just that.  I hope this year is your best one ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment