January 5, 2011

February Food Challenge

In February I plan to have a little cook from the pantry challenge for our family.  I’ll still buy milk and try to work some free or moneymaker deals at Walgreens or CVS, but other than that I plan to make our meals from what we have on hand.  This serves a dual purpose—I’ll clean out the freezer, fridge, and pantry to use up what needs using and we’ll save some money on our grocery budget.  Years ago I read a blog that suggested that you have this challenge in February because it is the shortest month of the year, and those few less days help to make it more doable. 

I plan to report what I learn about food storage, creative recipes that I find, and any other tips or tricks I learn along the way.  Why am I mentioning it now?  I hope that you’ll join me in the challenge.  I heard  yesterday on Dave Ramsey that the top three resolutions for the year are to quit smoking, lose weight and get better about managing your money/paying down debt.  If you reduce your monthly expense for food even just 10% by doing this challenge, you’ll be able to save that money or put it towards some of your debt.  Who knows, I might even have a giveaway that goes along with the challenge!

1 comment:

  1. what a great challenge- need to plan on doing this myself- I have more food in my pantry than is necessary right now. I'll have to think on it...

    ReplyDelete