February 6, 2011

Day 6 Challenge Update

Hubby has not been feeling great today.  At first I thought he might be dehydrated, then I thought he might be having a sinus infection, then I thought he might be a little low on iron.  Don’t you hate it when someone you love isn’t feeling well and you can’t do much to help?  We went to church this morning and after Sunday school we came home because he was feeling dizzy and lethargic.  After ruling out other causes, I thought that he might need some iron and convinced him to go out to lunch to get some red meat.  (I didn’t have any in the house ready to go and to feed him for lunch).  The sweet guy said, “I’m so sorry.  What are you going to say on your blog?  I know you were trying to stay out of restaurants this month.”  My first priority is taking care of him, and I reminded him of that.  Plus, thanks to coupons, all three of us ate at a sit-down restaurant for less than $20 and brought home 2 boxes of food to eat at another time.  Thankfully, he’s a little perkier than he was, and I’m hoping that the iron might be of help. 

Breakfast—leftover oatmeal and fruit for Hubby and daughter.  2 boiled eggs and tea for me.

Lunch—As I mentioned we went out to eat.  Hubby had a steak with salad and sweet potatoes.  I split a chicken sandwich with our daughter, and we had broccoli and carrots on the side.  We had a free order of chips and queso and they brought bread to our table.  We have almost all of the chicken sandwich meal that we brought home to eat at another time.  We have a large to-go of the chips, which I’ll pass to my dad later today.  The waitress brought too much lemon to our table, and I tucked them into the to-go box as well.  Our sweet dog Red will get the fat leftover from the meat.

Supper—My dad is coming over to watch the Super Bowl with us tonight.  I have lamb out defrosting to make into burgers (I’m hoping this extra bit of iron might also help Hubby).  I’ll make some homemade French fries and serve some veggies on the side.  I’ll make carrot cake for dessert as a Game Day treat. 

What did I learn from today?

I need to keep foods that are high in iron in storage.  I know that there are lots of other foods that are high in iron other than red meat, but I was concerned about him and couldn’t think of anything else.  I remember that when our daughter was young, I kept dulse flakes in the pantry and would mix them into her homemade baby food for extra iron.  Anyone have any other high iron foods as ideas?  I know that cooking in a cast iron skillet is said to be helpful as well, and I cook in one very often.

Plan ahead for holidays.  This tells you how off the radar I am with current events.  I didn’t really think about this being Super Bowl weekend until about Thursday of last week.  I didn’t plan football food into the meal plan for this week, and when I realized that, I changed my plans around.  Groundhog Day, Chinese New Year, and Super Bowl—all in one week!

If you don’t have coupons, buy your bread at a bread outlet.  Sometimes even with a coupon, bread is cheaper at an outlet.  I don’t pay more than $2 per loaf for whole wheat bread and with coupons I try to stick as close to $1 as I can get.  I knew we needed bread for the week, and I didn’t have any coupons readily available.  We made a trip to the Merita Bread Store in Knoxville and bought 3 loaves of whole wheat bread and 1 pack of whole wheat buns for just under $6.  We’ll put the extra bread in the freezer to have later in the month.

How are things going for you?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle,
    First off, I hope your husband is feeling 100% soon! Second, if it's a sinus infection, try the Neti-Pot. I did and have had great success with it. Third, your health and the health of your family comes first before any challenge - period. But, like you always do.. you managed to find the silver lining on the rainbow by using the coupons you had ton contribute to your savings! There's always tomorrow.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your hubby is feeling better. My iron tip...1 tablespoon of Blackstrap Molasses every day. This is a great source of iron and calcium (as well as potassium, magnesium, copper and manganese). I've been doing this for a couple of years, with great success, to correct an iron deficiency. I usually get a big bottle for under $7.00 at a health food store, but have seen it in some grocery stores.
    Raisins are also a good source of iron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the well wishes! He is doing a little better today, which is a relief. Thanks for the idea of the blackstrap molasses--I'll pick some up in March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope hubby gets better soon! I love your blog. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's doing much better now. Thanks so much for your concern.

    ReplyDelete