February 22, 2011

Days 21 & 22 Eat from the Pantry Challenge Update

It is the week of the Second Annual Knoxville Coupon Fair, and I’ve been a busy gal.  We are so excited about this year’s event, and I’m trying to make sure everything is ready for all of the guests to arrive.  Forgive me in advance if I’m not blogging as often.  As I said last year, the irony of organizing a coupon fair is that you aren’t as focused on coupons because of getting ready for the event. 

Breakfasts—yesterday we ate leftover cinnamon rolls and bacon.  Today we had cereal and milk

Lunches—Yesterday: PBJ and crackers for me.  Turkey and cheese sandwiches for Hubby and daughter. Today:  PBJ for our daughter.  Turkey and ham sandwich for me.  Ham sandwich for Hubby.

Supper—Yesterday:  Leftovers.  We had some leftover butternut squash, corn, crowder peas, saffron rice, and chicken from the weekend. Tonight:  Leftover chili mac, a few taquitos I pulled from the freezer, leftover butternut squash, leftover crowder peas, and dressed salad greens.

What did I learn today?

I must say, the temptation of going out to a restaurant has been on my mind a lot lately.  It would be so easy to justify going out to eat each and every night this week.  “I’m just too busy.”  “I don’t feel like cooking”.  Yet, the very act of writing those words down on this blog reaffirms my commitment to pulling out some dishes from the fridge and pantry for us to have at home.  I’m always so proud of myself when I resist the urge to go out and we eat at home.

I really enjoy grocery shopping.  It is fun for me, and I get a little thrill out of scoring good deals.  Since I haven’t been doing as much shopping for our family this month, shopping for the church has helped me get that fix.  While I could easily break my challenge and go buy a bunch of super cheap stuff at Kroger, Ingles, and Target this week (it is triple coupon week at Ingles, for Pete’s sake!), I realize that deals will roll around again. 

Other couponers “get it”.  Whenever I have a large order, I try to tell the person behind me in line that I’ll be using coupons and I might take a little longer.  I tell them I’m not trying to scare them off, but I want them to know in case they are in a hurry.  Most often people seem to appreciate this.  The kindest remarks are from other couponers.  Today a lady was behind me in line and said that she was also a couponer and didn’t mind at all, and as we talked I told her about the coupon fair this weekend.  Later in the afternoon, I saw a reader at the park, and we started talking about the deals this week.  When her daughter pulled a granola bar out of her bag for a snack, I smiled and said, “I know where you bought that!”  There is a camaraderie to couponing, and I think it centers around so many of us wanting to share the news of great deals.  I can’t tell you how many friends I’ve made through couponing!

We’re in the home stretch now—almost a month has gone by!  What have you been learning about yourself, your food storage, your family through this experience?

3 comments:

  1. Great post Gabrielle.. your excitement echoes through your words... I know all about being busy as Monday I start back to work full time again. So, regrettably posting won't be as fast and furious as it has been.. BUT, I just wanted to thank you for all the encouragement you've given me as a reader in the challenge. It's been a sheer pleasure realizing that we can sometimes do with out as much and the pocketbook thanks you as well. Good luck with your event. I'm sure it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what you mean when you say other couponers "get it". One of the cashiers at CVS is a couponer and she is a great resource for me with CVS deals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Leslie!

    Together We Save--I agree. The cashiers at drugstores who also coupon are so much more patient, helpful, and excited when they check out a fellow couponer. They do "get it"!

    ReplyDelete