February 18, 2011

Tip of the day—Add a Bay Leaf

My cousin makes excellent soups, and I do so enjoy a nice pot of homemade soup!  One of the ingredients that I have consistently noticed in her soups is at least one bay leaf.  From chicken dumplings to potato to vegetable soups to everything in between, the addition of the bay leaf seems to add that extra note of flavor that gives an ordinary soup a little more appeal.  Last night I was preparing homemade chicken noodle soup, and each time I tasted it I kept thinking it needed something.  I added more salt, not it.  I added more pepper, not it.  I added Tony’s, not it.  I added garlic powder, not it.  I added cayenne, not it.  Not until I added the bay leaf and let the soup simmer for a while did the flavor improve.   Give it a try next time you are making a pot of soup, and you just might find it is the perfect ingredient.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely Gabrielle... isn't amazing how a little leaf like that can create just the right taste! Have a wonderful weekend full of all the right ingredients!

    ReplyDelete