March 21, 2011

Tip of the day—Hook up your rain barrel

I recommend that you drain your rain barrel in the winter months to prevent damage due to freezing.  While we’ll still have a few frosts and maybe even a freeze, we’re at the point in the year in our area (zone 6a, 6b, and 7a) where you should be able to safely reconnect your rain barrel.  Last week I planted seeds, and it was so unusual for me to use the water hose to water something.  Since we’ve had the rain barrel, we only have need to water the garden with the hose a few times each year.  This is a significant decrease from previously when we would water the garden with the hose at least a few times a week!  Yes, it requires a little more effort to water the garden by hand, but I like the exercise. Rather than hooking a hose to the barrel and let gravity feed the water through, I prefer to fill up water buckets and water directly on the area that needs it.  I waste a lot less water than when using a hose, and like I said, I build up some muscle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment