March 25, 2011

Tip of the day—Stress and Spirituality

Yesterday, I was one of the speakers at the MOPS group at Grace Lutheran Church in Knoxville.  The speaker who was right before me gave a great lecture on Stress and Spirituality, and she gave me permission to talk a little about it on the blog.  As y’all know, I’m a licensed clinical social worker, and so I do a lot of talking about and listening to lectures on stress and stress management.  So when I say that I was impressed with this one, you know it had to be good!

Mandy Jarvis is a member of Grace and a nurse.  She gave these tips for how to manage stress by using spiritual resources:

  • Prayer.  This was at the top of her list, and she talked about how connecting to God helps us to feel grounded and to seek guidance.  Philippians 4:6
  • Express Gratitude.  She encouraged the use of a gratitude journal, and what I really liked was that she encouraged making one with your children.  She said that she encourages her grandchildren to draw pictures about what they are thankful for, and I’m going to start using this idea with our daughter.  Psalms 107:1
  • Be optimistic.  Focus on the positive things.  “Ask God for help to see what He desires for you to learn during difficult times.” Luke 12: 25-26
  • 5-Minute Rule.  Take just 5 minutes out of your day to be quiet, breathe deeply, and focus on relaxing.
  • Pretty things.  By surrounding yourself with pretty things, you make your home a safe haven from the chaos of the world outside.  You could do this at your office as well.  Put a few photos or pictures of something that makes you happy on your desk and direct your focus to that when feeling stressed.  Ezekiel 31:9
  • Laugh.  Laughter is truly the best medicine.  Find the funny in stressful situations.  Psalms 126:2

I hope you have a wonderful, stress free day!

No comments:

Post a Comment