April 20, 2011

Tip of the day—Encourage others

The tips of the day now through Earth Day are focusing on environmental stewardship.

One of the best ways to influence others, in my opinion, is to be encouraging.  If you’ve been reading this blog for a long time, you know that last year as my dad was renovating his home and moving to Knoxville he lived with us for a few months.  During that time, he watched us garden, compost, recycle and work to reduce waste.  It has been interesting to watch how many of those steps that he now takes in his own home, never having done them before.  Among all of the positive steps he’s taken, watching him consistently recycle is what makes me the proudest.  He doesn’t believe in peak oil or Global Warming, and him taking steps that are eco-friendly, mean so much to me.  I tell him often how happy it makes me that he is now gardening, recycling, and not running the AC non-stop, and he usually gives me a coy grin to show that he, too, is proud of himself. 

As you continue through this week and month, I hope you’ll think of ways that you can encourage others to become better environmental stewards.  How can you use your influence, enthusiasm, and know-how to help make our corner of the world a better place?

No comments:

Post a Comment