Last year, I incorporated into my weekly matchups post information about what to find at farmers markets. Many readers said that it was helpful, as they weren’t yet familiar with what is in season and when. I thought I would make them a separate post each week to give you an idea of what you might find at the markets. Note that farmers markets in different areas of the country vary greatly. What is ripe in East TN is not going to be what is ripe in AZ or CA.
What to watch for at the farmers market this week:
- Lettuce and salad greens of all sorts, including spinach
- Green or Spring onions
- Small cabbages
- New potatoes (I noticed Mr. Due had some on his table, and I think he sells the best potatoes in town!)
- Sugar snap peas
- Cut flowers
- Dried peppers and garlic
- Home canned items such as salsas, jellies, jams, chow chow, salad dressing, pickles, etc
- Asparagus, limited quantities
- Potted plants, shrubs and trees
- Cheeses, butters, local milk, locally made ice cream
- Beef, pork, chicken, and related meat products such as sausages, cured meats, and jerkies
- Eggs (chicken and duck)
I usually shop at the farmers markets downtown and at Harvest Town. If you are in another part of Knoxville and saw something I missed, be sure to include it in the comments section. If you are in different parts of the country, I’d love to hear what other things you have at your markets.