June 21, 2011

Local Blogger Highlight—Thrifty Christy

Thrifty_Christy_logo I met Thrifty Christy about a year ago at a local blogger luncheon that I had organized.  Coupon Mommie introduced her to me, and I was so impressed with her.  Christy is easy to talk to, funny, and open, while at the same time professional, organized, and resourceful.  During this year, she switched her blog title from Coupons are Money to Thrifty Christy, and she’s been rocking out fantastic deal posts.  If you met her at the Knoxville Coupon Fair this year, you already know that she’s a fantastic source of information on deals and activities in the Maryville area and one of the friendliest and most enthusiastic people you will ever meet. 

Christy and her husband, who is Minister of Youth and Outreach at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, have two precious daughters, ages 4 & 2. The couple hails from Alabama but have lived in Maryville since 2005. Christy is member of both the Junior League of Knoxville and the Junior Service League of Maryville, both of which she supports through her blog work.  Her spirit of philanthropy shows through on her posts, and you’ll regularly find information on community events, outreach projects, and ways to give back to others. 

If you haven’t yet viewed her blog, I hope you’ll stop by and make it one of your favorites!  Read my interview with her below to see why she’s definitely one of mine!

 

CICT:  Tell us a little bit about how you started blogging.

Christy:  I started blogging because I was constantly emailing friends about deals I thought they’d like, or ways I thought they could be saving money. I finally decided it would be more efficient to bring to bring it all together in one place. I had a personal blog for about a year when I was approached by Sarah Herron, who edits the Blount Moms Today section of the Blount Today, about writing a monthly column on thrifty living. We decided to call the column “Thrifty Christy,” and renamed my blog accordingly. I like to focus on ways to save and serve in the Maryville/Alcoa/Blount County area.

CICT:  You and I share a similar story.  Like you, I couldn’t imagine not sharing those deals with others!  Since I’m in Maryville at least once a month, it is nice to hop over to your site and the Blount Moms Today site to see what is happening in that area.

 

CICT:  What do you like the most about blogging?

Christy:  I love sharing deals I know will help people provide for their families as well as give back to their local food banks and shelters! In addition to coupons and deals, I also post about fun free events and other ways to get involved in our community. Finally, I like to support local businesses as well as national ones.

 

CICT:  What are some of your favorite posts that you’ve written or types of posts that you write?

Christy:  As part of the 3/50 project I’ve been posting the weekly deals at The Market in Maryville and the weekly movies featured at the Parkway Drive-In. I love the idea that I might be able to get people excited about supporting local business!

CICT: It is so important to support local businesses, especially in today’s economy.  I’ve heard that The Market is opening a new location in downtown Knoxville.  Your deal posts will soon reach an even larger audience!

 

CICT:  What are some things that you’ve learned through blogging?

Christy:  I’ve learned that there’s SO much information available for free online, as long as you’re willing to take the time to look! I enjoy reading other blogs as a way of self-improvement; for example, this year I’ve started cooking more, have attempted gardening, have started considering ways to teach my preschoolers more at home, and all of these things have been fueled by posts on blogs that I read!

 

CICT:  What do you hope that your readers get out of your blog and your work?

Christy:  I know that couponing can be really overwhelming for many people. I hope my blog can help people in my community stay motivated to save money.  For those who are like me and have more time than money, I also hope I can offer ideas for how to use their ability to clip coupons as a way to help the needy in our community. (I also refer people to Margaret’s posts on Couponing for Charity at BlueFrog Creations as a great resource for this purpose!)

CICT:  One of the best things about Thrifty Christy is the way that her enthusiasm is contagious.  You read her posts and know that you can do it, too!  She’s the kind of person that makes you want to be a better person.  I hear about all of the wonderful things she does, and it is inspiring.  Christy, you are a gem, and I’m so glad to know you!  Thank you for your blog and the way that you serve this community! 

No comments:

Post a Comment