June 16, 2011

Tip of the day—Watch for markdowns

Whenever I am shopping, I watch for markdowns in the grocery store.  Organic chicken is pretty pricey, but we prefer to buy it whenever we can. One of the ways that we are able to do so is by watching for manager specials and discounts near the sell by date.  I then take it home and pop it in the freezer until we are ready to use it.  Whenever I’m in the produce section, I look for bananas that are getting a bit ripe.  If they aren’t yet marked down, I ask the produce attendant if he/she is willing to mark them down for quick sale.  They almost always are more than happy to do so.  When I’m shopping for just about anything that has a sell by or expiration date, I try to pay attention to it.  If the current date is just a couple of days before that date, I’ll ask if the attendant is willing to mark them down.  It is my experience that if the item’s expiration date is that day or beyond, the clerks will pull the products and not sell them. 

The stores at which I shop still allow coupons with manager markdowns.  Frugally Farming Family noted recently that her Kroger is no longer allowing the matchup.  If in doubt, you might want to ask your store’s manager how they are handling this. 

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment