July 19, 2011

Tip of the day—Get to know the staff

After years of shopping at our local Kroger stores, I now know many of the core employees by name.  When I’m not running through the store like a mad woman trying to grab last minute things for a food preservation class like I was yesterday, I enjoy chatting with them and catching up on their lives.  One of the bonuses of knowing the staff from Kroger and other stores is that they often give me insider information and little money saving tips.  A few examples from Kroger and other stores are below:

  • When at Kroger recently I was pricing prosciutto.  Lisa at the deli counter first asked what I was using it for and then explained that I could buy it at the deli but it would be more expensive and a thicker cut.  She showed me where else I could find it for less money and what would be more in line with my recipe. 
  • Danielle of Kroger shared with me that I could order cases of the Ronzoni pasta that was free after coupon if I needed more than was typically on the shelves.  I had a bunch of coupons from the church and ordered 56 boxes to use for the youth, children’s program and food pantry. 
  • Christa of Three Rivers Market emailed me with a great deal on rice pasta, which was perfect for my sister with wheat allergies. 
  • Tiffany of Walgreens showed me where some really good closeout deals were in the store for toiletries and shared some extra coupons with me. 

Notice that I include each person’s name?  As I mentioned a few tips ago, I think that an important part of customer service is introducing yourself to clients.  Each of these people has not only done that, but they’ve made an effort to know my needs as a customer.

Last night at my food preservation class, someone asked about how to get bulk veggies for canning.  My answer was get to know the farmers.  When you have a relationship with people, they much more want to help you and work with you.  Build that relationship, let them know your needs, and many times they will go out of their way to help you. 

Y’all, I have a lot of catching up to do today, and so I’m probably not going to be able to post much more today.  Thanks in advance for your patience with me.  I hope to be posting more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment