Yesterday my hand was hurting. As you all know, I cut my thumb on Sunday night, and it was throbbing most of the day. Yet, we needed some basic groceries, and I decided to make a quick trip to Kroger in the afternoon. I guess I wasn’t very “with it” because I forgot my list and a good chunk of my coupons, making the trip almost a complete waste of time. Since many of the cheapies and freebies from the Mega Event weren’t really ones that I needed, I decided to just stick with the basics and try again next week.
Before I make a shopping trip, I have a little checklist that I usually remember to run through--
- Have I taken time to look over the matchups online and have I checked them today to see if any new ones were added? Almost every time I make a trip to Target, I return home to find another deal was uncovered. Oh well!
- Do I have my shopping list and my monthly needs list with me? I recommend to readers that you make a monthly needs list—all of those things that you think you might need to buy at the store in a given month. If you spot a clearance deal or good price that was unadvertised, your needs list will cue you, and you can pick it up.
- Do I have my coupon bag with me? I’ve become so darn lazy at organizing coupons. I blame it on having a ton going on in my life, but I do find that keeping them all together in one bag is helpful. I have those extra coupons with me if I see a deal that I didn’t have on my list.
- Do I have my clipped coupons attached to my list? This makes shopping much easier because I don’t have to search for the coupons that I know I’ll need that day.
- Are there any coupons that I should load to my card before I go? I’m loading a lot less coupons these days, but every so often there is a good deal to be found with one. There is a new coupon loading program that you might want to look into if you haven’t already. It CAN be used with paper coupons.
- Have I checked my budget to see where we are in spending for the month? I want to make sure that I don’t overspend for the month and that I plan my purchases with my budget in mind.