July 9, 2011

Tip of the day—Use those discounts

I had a conversation with a lady at Kroger on Wednesday (senior day in our area).  We were talking about how some seniors were hesitant to receive the discount, as if not doing so would make them younger. 

I spoke with a relative not that long ago about veteran’s benefits.  He said that he didn’t want to accept them and wouldn’t take them because he didn’t think he deserved them for doing his duty.  Even after my best arguments to the contrary, he was set on doing without. 

I was shopping with a friend last year at the outlet malls.  We both had AAA, and I told her about how she could get an extra 10% off at a store and a coupon booklet at the customer service office.  She said that she didn’t want to go to all that trouble.

Maybe it is my couponing mindset, but I want to use just about any form of a discount that I can.  I can appreciate people who do not have an entitled attitude, but I urge you to use whatever discounts you can to help you save money.   Note that I’m not encouraging anyone to “work the system” or do anything illegal or unethical to receive a discount. 

Some philanthropist of the past said something on the lines of how he wanted to earn and save as much money as he could so that he could help even more people.  I tend to think of it that way.  If I save an extra 10%, then I’m able to use that money to help someone else, make a donation, or support a local business. 

What are your favorite discounts that you receive?  What are your thoughts about getting extra discounts? 

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I believe in saving everywhere I can, as long as it's legal and ethical. I especially like buying from businesses that donate a portion of the proceeds to a charity, like reuseit.com.

    ReplyDelete