July 11, 2011

Tip of the day—Use your head

Last night, as I was using a good knife to try and cut a piece of plastic to open packaging, the knife slipped and cut deep into my left thumb.  As I was doing it, I thought to myself that it was a good thing that my Hubby was outside because he would be telling me to stop and find some scissors so that I didn’t hurt myself.  I also heard the voice of reason that said that my father had told me a million times to not use knives in a manner in which they are not intended.  I made it through the first two cuts, and I told myself that I was fine.  I was cutting away from myself after all.  Then the knife slipped.  After a trip to the ER and a pending visit to an orthopedic surgeon, I think I’ve finally learned my lesson. 

I mention this for a few reasons.  Number one, I don’t want you to make the same mistake that I have.  Use your head.  Try really hard not to be careless.  Listen to that voice inside of you telling you to stop.  Even if it takes longer, even if you are in a hurry to finish what you are doing, stop and be careful. 

The second reason is that for me this reinforces my belief that we all tend to make the same mistakes over and over again until we learn the lessons which we are meant to learn.  Granted, this is a pretty dumb lesson.  I think my 5 year old knows better than to use a knife how I was using it, and she definitely has a lot more patience than I.  She would have taken the time to get the scissors or figure out a better way of doing it.  Either way, I think I’ve finally learned my lesson.  Too bad it had to be such a serious consequence for me to finally get it, but then again, it could have been a lot worse. 

I guess the third reason for mentioning this is that I now finally get why my sweet elderly neighbor who once lived across from me would be dressed up when she was outside gardening.  I looked like the redneck of all rednecks in my shorts with holes and paint all over them, a shirt stained in paint and dirt, scratches all over my arms from tearing down a vine at my dad’s and my fingernails all stained with beet juice from canning them.  Why is it that emergencies never happen when I look good?  I know, I know, the ER staff could care less, but next time, I think I’ll go out to work in the garden in a cute outfit instead.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. I hope your recovery is quick. I really enjoy your blog and look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete