October 19, 2011

Couponing at Kroger

 kroger_cincy2-295x300 The Cinncinnati/Dayton area of Kroger has put out a new coupon policy (Thanks Coupon Katie).  While our local stores are considered the Atlanta region, a few of you have said that you are noticing changes in our stores as a result.  My best guess is that this will be policy formally put into place here very soon. 

The new policy limits the amount of coupons per like item to 5—gone are the days of leaving the store with 10 free deodorants.  The new policy also limits the amount of Internet coupons used.  Since the wording is “per customer per day”, I’m wondering how this will impact my purchases for our church.  Usually I go into the store and have 2 transactions.  I’ll ring up one for our family, and then I’ll have a separate one for what I need to buy for the church.  Will this mean that I’ll be limited or will they see the church purchase as a separate customer? 

There is a part of me that is frustrated with Kroger and a part of me that doesn’t blame them at all.  That couponing show on TV (you know the one) has so greatly changed couponing, and I’m afraid it is for the worse.  Years ago, people didn’t clear the shelves as much, and I wasn’t hearing about nearly as much unethical coupon usage.  Stores are trying to protect their interest, and unfortunately that hurts those of us who are trying to coupon in an ethical, reasonable manner. 

I’ve become less and less enamored with Kroger in recent months.  I’ve started shopping more regularly at other Kroger locations, smaller, friendlier stores where the deals aren’t sold out as readily.  I’ve made more of my purchases at Three Rivers Market, since I’m finding better prices for organic and health foods there anyway.  As new stores enter the landscape, I’ll try them out and see what deals I can find there—Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Publix are all known for being great resources for couponers.  I’m sure I’ll still shop at Kroger, but I’m not entirely sure that they will be my “go-to” place anymore.

What about you?  What are your thoughts on the change?  How will it affect your shopping and your budget?

3 comments:

  1. What most stores fail to realize is that if they send in their coupons, they get paid for the coupon being redeemed in their store. If it's free, the store still gets their money back. The store shouldn't have any problem with consumers using only coupons because the store gets PAID for all of the coupons redeemed in their store. I fail to see why the stores are changing their coupon policy just because of a TLC show that showcases people getting overpriced food and such for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I was glad to see the new coupon policy. I rarely use more than 5 like coupons for anything; so it doesn't change my shopping. I also only have two printables per product because I only have one computer. Maybe now the products will actually be there when I shop.
    However, I see your point about the policy hindering your work with the church. I would argue that you are two separate customers. If you have the tax exempt card, you are clearly buying for the church. They should honor your integrity of not buying your own groceries with that card and allow you to use the appropriate coupons for both transactions. I'm sure Customer Service would agree.
    As for the previous comment, you're right on. People forget the stores are not getting shafted by coupons. It's simply a different form of payment. They lose when they choose to double coupons, but that's their business strategy, as are what they choose to put on sale.

    ReplyDelete